PRESS RELEASE #wpgpoli
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OCTOBER 11, 2018 10:30 AM
Michael Thompson, candidate for City Councillor for Fort Rouge – East Fort Garry platform on infrastructure for the ward.
I have been going door-to-door for several months since announcing my candidacy for City Council. I want to make a positive difference for the citizens in the Fort Rouge – East Fort Garry and I have consistently heard concerns about the quality of infrastructure.
I will work hard to implement the following changes:
- Improve the quality of the sidewalks, roads and back lanes. Large parts of the ward are used by citizens on foot. It’s important that our sidewalks are usable and safe all year round
- Expand and link our bike lanes to promote active transportation. There needs to be improvement in our addressing the major arteries with safe bike path options
- Upgrade the East Fort Garry Outdoor Pool
- Upgrade and invest in our community centres. Our community centres are the heart of community. We need to look at options for using solar energy as well as having recycling drop offs and composting centres.
- Replace Osborne Fire Station #4. The station was built in the late 1950s and has reached its end of life. There are major layout and structure issues that don’t meet today’s needs. A new building needs to be built to meet today’s equipment standards and the needs of our changing community. It is one of the busiest stations in the city and will continue to grow in calls. Fire Station #4 is having an open house this Saturday October 13 from noon to 4 pm. I encourage the public and media to visit the fire hall to judge the condition for themselves.
- Work to reduce traffic congestion along Osborne Street and Confusion Corner
- Add Pedestrian Flashing Lights at River Avenue and Lewis Street
- Re purpose land at community centre under utilized as dog park areas. One example is re purposing the tennis courts at Fort Rouge Leisure Centre
I have been listening to the community and people expect more from our city and I agree. There is a lot of work to do and I promise to work hard to address these concerns make sure our communities adapt and are the communities we hope to live in years to come. If elected I will use city resources to support and build our communities for urban revitalization.
For further information please contact candidate
Michael Thompson at 204-272-9555
or Shelley Ireland, Media Relations at 204-272-9555 ext. 3